Soil vs Hydro pros/cons

I know a lot of people have their routines established and the topic’s been much discussed already but-

Could I please get a list of pros and cons for growing in soil (inc all soilless mediums such as coco coir, etc) vs growing in hydroponics?

If you’ve used one and switched, what do you like better about one method over the other?

I think I’m ready to buy a tent- I really wanted to wait until I move into a new home to get one set up but my success rate in grobo sucks. I know everyone’s got their own opinions and some prefer soil and some prefer hydro but love to know what’s going to be the easiest way for me to go.

I like that hydro grows are reportedly faster (though not really in my ltd experience) and I like that less bugs seem drawn to hydro - (I haven’t had to face down any infestations personally and don’t care to either!). I have an extremely brown thumb and like that it’s very difficult to over/under water in hydro, so those are my own personal hydro pros but I have tons of cons as well. It seems like a greater investment to set up and a much greater amount of work to maintain. Cleaning makes me very disagreeable (as a result of pain) and there’s so much of it to be done with hydro!

Keep in mind, my only xp is with Grobo so… :wink:

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts!

5 Likes

My experience with hydro has also been with Grobo only. Most of my failures were due to damping off until I started trimming about a half inch off the bottom of the coco pod. I tried super soil in my tent but the plants were always stunted and the yield was poor.

I would prefer my grow to be organic, but now I’m moving on to hydro in the tent. To me it seems simpler, cleaner and easier to control variables, if you have quality diagnostic tools and nutrients. I’m a newb at this and will be transplanting my Green Crack (Garden of Green) seedlings to hydro buckets in a week.

One mistake I corrected from past tent experience, I got a taller tent! 80 inch vs 60 inch :grinning:

5 Likes

I have tried all methods for me organic is the way to go… Hydro is to much work for me…

I think this link will answer all your questions on Pro’s vs Con’s

5 Likes

Well for my opinion I have done three different types an so far this organic route I took along with @Mpower11 has been hands :raised_hands: down the best results since I’ve started witch been a lil now I agree :point_up:t4: with mpower hydro is way to much work growing is supposed to relaxing :relieved: with synthetic I’ve done that too that one :point_up:t4: is a lil less work but since we’re on the topic I am already killing my lungs :lungs: don’t want more chemicals helping that out so I’m at organic we’re everything is natural the way god intended don’t u think :thinking: just my thoughts :thought_balloon::+1:t2::dash::seedling:

4 Likes

- - - [2022-03.03]:

@Angiebaby,

~~~

- - - [2022-03.04]:

@Angiebaby,

--

:wink: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1:t5:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

5 Likes

Man U have natural co2 down there :point_down::+1:t2::dash::seedling:

3 Likes

Crops that grow hydroponically use 10 times less water in comparison to soil-grown crops.

I figured it would be the other way around. :hushed:

Does grobo do it wrong by not recycling water? I go through 6-7 gallons/week between drain/fill, top offs, and running humidifier. I’d go through more and run humidifier higher if we weren’t too lazy to make a 2nd trip to the store for more water. :joy:

Where are you with so much humidity in your basement? :scream:

Eww to the buggies!! :confounded: How do you share your journal??

2 Likes